Tuesday, September 4, 2012

GF Bread SUCCESS!

Since my husband went gluten-free almost 2yrs ago, I've occasionally experimented with making different GF breads. But since he was the only one eating it, I really didn't try to hard as I already spent enough time making whole wheat bread for our boys. I did find a great flatbread recipe here this is an awesome bread- and it works great as pizza crust! But, I wanted more of a loaf bread to send to school in the boys' lunchboxes, so I started my quest for edible, fluffy as-much-like-wheat-bread-as-possible recipes.

I searched high. I searched low. I made many, many......many bricks. You know, those hard, dense, chewy things that have no flavor, no light airiness and the only thing they are good for is throwing at your spouses head when he makes jokes about said brick that you spent hours making. For him. And his children. And then last week, I found it. The holy grail of gluten free breads. It rose beautifully. It was light. It was fluffy. It had little nooks. And crannies. And then I tweaked it. Then I tweaked it a little more. And one more time. It is now our most favorite, most successful bread.....we're on our 6th loaf in about a week. You may ask, why did I tweak it if it was so good in the first place? Well, I wanted to add some different flavors as well as more protein and other nutrients to it. And I like to make things my own. So, her it is, my own personal Holy Grail of Gluten Free Bread!!

                      Gluten Free Bread Wonderment!

First, the original recipe is here
and mine:




Ingredients:

1/2 Cup Warm Water
2t   Yeast
2T  Honey
1/2 Cup Brown Rice Flour
1/4 Cup Almond Flour
1/4 Cup Oat Flour
1/4 Cup Sorghum Flour
1/2 Cup Flaxseed Meal
1/2 Cup Potato Starch
1/4 Cup Corn Starch
2 1/2t Xanthan Gum
1 1/4t Salt
2t Apple Cider Vinegar
2T Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Rice Milk (or any other milk of choice)
1T Molasses*
2 Eggs
2 Eggwhites

Directions:

Combine warm water, honey and yeast in a med bowl to proof- set aside about 5 mins. Its ready when its nice and foamy.
In a second bowl combine all dry ingredients, mix well with a wire whisk.
In yet another bowl, combine the wet ingredients and mix with hand or stand mixer. Add yeast mixture. Then add flour mixture a little at a time. You should have a slightly thick batter.
Prepare a SMALL loaf pan (it rises better) by either oiling or using parchment paper ( i like using paper, because after it cooks, you pop it out and POOF its clean!).
Using a spatula, scrape dough into the pan, place in a warm spot and let rise for 1 hour. (I put my oven on low, then once it's pre-heated I put the bread in, turn off the oven and open the door a bit and it works really well for me)
Then, pre-heat oven to 350' and bake for 35-45mins.

*I use organic, unsulphured molasses which is REALLY strong, if using another kind you might want to start with more, maybe 1 1/2-2T.

I hope you love this bread as much as we do! Please leave me a comment if you try it and any of your own tweaks!

1 comment:

  1. You did a fantastic job!! That's what it's all about, finding a recipe, then making it your own! Well done. :) Glad that you're no longer baking bricks. :)

    ReplyDelete